Facilities & Dining
The College has evaluated all campus facilities and has adopted a numerous proactive health and safety measures in accordance with guidance from local, state and federal health officials. Enhanced health and safety measures within campus facilities will include:
- Reconfigured furniture and equipment to decrease room and building density
- The provision of cleaning supplies near classrooms and offices enabling students, faculty and staff to wipe down work surfaces
- The installation of hand sanitizer stations throughout campus
- Limiting the number of people in elevators
- Establishing single-direction stairways and building entrances and exits (when possible)
- Posting informational signage throughout campus reinforcing various health practices, including handwashing, social distancing and mask wearing
Campus Building Access
Beginning August 3, all campus buildings with the exception of Old Main will remain locked throughout the day and will be accessible via keycard access only. Old Main will be accessible to approved visitors during business hours (8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.).
All campus community members will need a Cardinal Card to access campus facilities. Students will have access to the academic buildings from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. every day of the week, including weekends. The reduction in building hours is to allow for enhanced cleaning in our facilities.
A complete list of building hours and accessibility is available online and will be updated throughout the semester. The list can be found here.
Circulating through Buildings and Hallways
- Stay to the right side of passageways and avoid stopping and congregating
- Maintain a minimum 6-foot distance from others while traveling through hallways
Elevators and Stairwells
- If able, building occupants are encouraged to use stairs instead of elevators and should stay to the right side of stairways
- Where feasible, stairwells will be designated and labeled as “up” or “down” only
- Elevator capacity will range from 1-2-person maximums
- Signage indicating elevator capacity will be placed at the exterior and interior of each elevator car
- Those waiting for elevators in lobbies should practice appropriate physical distancing
Drinking Fountains and Bottle Filling Stations
- Traditional style drinking fountains on campus will be turned off; however, building occupants can continue to use bottle filling stations
- Signage will be posted specific to water filling stations regarding safe use
Outdoor Campus Spaces
- Stay to the right side of campus sidewalks and walkways and maintain a minimum 6-foot distance from other pedestrians
- Avoid expelling saliva (spitting) or gum while using outdoor campus spaces
- Continue to practice physical distancing in an outdoor setting
- Face coverings should be worn while utilizing outdoor campus spaces, when feasible or when in close contact with other individuals
- Avoid using outdoor furnishings, as outdoor spaces are not in the scope of the College’s contracted cleaning services provide
- Exceptions to this include the permanent fixtures located outside of the White Activities Center and Boilerhouse which will be cleaned regularly by Chartwells staff
Oesterle Library Modifications
- August 3-21, Oesterle Library will have limited hours of operation, 10 a.m. – a 2 p.m., Monday-Friday
- Starting August 22, the library will be open 7 a.m. – 9 p.m., Monday-Sunday
- Oesterle Library will be accessible to students, faculty and staff via Cardinal Card (keycard0 access; public access will be temporarily suspended
- Library stacks will be closed for fall semester; library staff will retrieve materials as requested
- Stairwells to the upper level Reference Room and behind Class of 97 computer lab will be closed
- Library patrons may check out keyboards and mice at the Information Services Desk using an ID card
- There will be a table located in front of the Information Services Desk for materials returns and checkouts
- Students will be required to sign up to reserve group study rooms in advance
- Study rooms will be limited to 25% of capacity (1-2 students per room)
- Large study tables will be limited to 25-50% of capacity, depending on the size of table
Please contact the library staff with any questions.
Due to COVID-19 space restrictions, the archives can accommodate only two researchers in the reading room at a time. College faculty, students and staff should call x5714 or email email@example.com at least 24 hours in advance to enable the archives coordinator to pull materials and disinfect research spaces before and after appointments. Unfortunately, class visits to the archives are not possible at this time.
Appointments are available from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, and research requests can also be coordinated remotely.
Fitness Center & Athletics Facilities
- The College has enhanced its facility cleaning protocols including regularly disinfecting high-touch surfaces
- The fitness center and other athletics facilities such as Res/Rec, Merner Field House and Benedetti-Wherli Stadium will be accessible via keycard access
- Face coverings are required while using indoor facilities
- Prior to entry, temperatures will be taken at the Res/Rec Fitness Center, and at the Merner Field House Gregory Arena and weight room; anyone with a temperature of 100.4 degrees or higher will not be allowed entry and directed to seek medical services
- Exercise and fitness equipment has been spaced to reduce capacity and allow for physical distancing
- Priority access to athletics facilities will be given to sports teams engaged in organized practice and training activities
- Athletics facility schedules will be posted at the entry of each facility as well as online at northcentralcollege.edu/sites/campus-safety/SitePageModern/14852/building-hours
Fitness Center & Athletics Facilities Hours
In-person instruction will require a six-foot minimum distance between all individuals and face coverings will be required in all classrooms, labs and studios. Classrooms and other instructional spaces have been evaluated for new maximum capacities based on physical distancing requirements and furniture and equipment will be arranged accordingly. Depending on class sizes and room capacities, there may be circumstances where students attend class in-person on some days and remotely on other days for synchronous (or asynchronous) instruction in order to maintain physical distancing requirements.
- Campus dining services, in partnership with Chartwells, has implemented a number of changes to best serve the campus community while following relevant health guidelines.
These changes include:
- Wellness checks for dining service employees prior to the start of each shift and the wearing of appropriate personal protective equipment, including face coverings;
- Enhanced cleaning, sanitizing and disinfecting protocols;
- Buffet-style self-servicing will be discontinued until further notice; all meals will be served by Chartwells associates;
- Pre-packaged meals will be available as to-go options;
- Layout and space modifications and hours of operation modifications will be made in order to adhere to social distancing guidelines and capacity restrictions within dining locations;
- Kaufman Dining Hall will have expanded hours; The Cage, Moe’s and the Boiler House will be open with adjusted hours; Au Bon Pain and Freshens will remain closed until further notice.
- Do you have additional questions about campus dining? Visit the Campus Dining Frequently Asked Questions page.
Dining Locations & Hours