November 22, 2021
Dear campus community,
The Dyson Wellness Center staff would like to take a moment to thank each of you for your diligence in caring for your health and the health of one another. Thank you for your compassion and understanding that these are difficult times for nearly all of us as we continue to grapple with the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic while at the same time moving forward with our lives. We are so happy to be a part of your individual journeys here at North Central College as we continue to support your health and wellbeing.
As we head into the holiday season, it’s important to share some pertinent health information. Please take a moment to review and make a safe and healthy plan for yourself, as well as for your friends and families.
Transmission of COVID 19 is once again on the rise within our region and in many other parts of the U.S. According to the DuPage County Health Department the community transmission level is currently “High.” This means that the total number of new cases per 100,000 people has been greater than 100 over the past 7 days.
There are several ways to enjoy holiday traditions and protect your health.
- Protect those not yet eligible for vaccination such as children under the age of 5 by getting yourself and other eligible people around them vaccinated.
- Outdoor events and gatherings continue to be safer than indoors; wear a well-fitting mask over your nose and mouth if you are in a public indoor setting, and avoid crowded and/or poorly ventilated indoor spaces.
- If you are sick or have symptoms, don’t host or attend a gathering, and get tested if you have symptoms of COVID-19 or have a close contact with someone who has COVID-19.
- If you are considering traveling, please make sure you are familiar with current CDC travel guidance.
- CDC recommends delaying travel until you are fully vaccinated.
- Everyone, including those who are fully vaccinated, is required to wear a mask on public transportation.
- If you are not fully vaccinated and must travel, follow CDC’s domestic travel or international travel recommendations for unvaccinated people.
COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Updates
- Boosters are now available for all three COVID 19 vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna, J&J). The FDA has approved a mix and match strategy for vaccine booster doses. This means that regardless of which vaccine was given for the primary series, any of the three vaccines can be given as a booster for eligible individuals.
- Booster Eligibility
- For people who received Moderna or Pfizer vaccines, booster vaccinations are recommended 6 months or more after finishing the initial two-dose series for those 18 and older.
- For people who got the J&J COVID-19 vaccine, booster vaccinations are recommended for those 18 and older and who were vaccinated two or more months ago.
Last year’s flu season was mild due to the health and safety requirements that were already in place. This year, we can anticipate an increase in flu cases, but there are still a number of things you can do to protect yourself against the flu, including:
- Get the flu vaccine.
- It is safe to get the flu and COVID-19 vaccines at the same time.
- Follow the CDC’s guidance
- CDC recommends that people stay home for at least 24 hours after their fever is gone except to get medical care or other necessities. Fever should be gone without the need to use a fever-reducing medicine. Note that the stay-at-home guidance for COVID-19 may be different.
- In the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, local governments or public health departments may recommend additional precautions be taken in your community. Follow those instructions.
We are pleased to be here for you as a convenient, high-quality integrated healthcare resource. Please feel free to contact us to schedule a medical, counseling and/or advocacy (sexual assault, dating and/or domestic violence or stalking issues) appointment or to schedule presentations within your classroom or group gathering.
With Healthy Regards,
Dyson Wellness Center
North Central College
Benedetti-Wehrli Stadium, 2nd Floor Office