November 4, 2020
Dear North Central College Campus Community,
Over the past couple weeks, the College has experienced an increase in positive COVID-19 cases, as has been the trend in our region and across the state. This has resulted in the temporary suspension of organized athletics activities as was announced last week, and has led to an increased number of students, faculty and staff in isolation and quarantine, both on and off campus. The athletic department is extending the suspension of all organized activities until Friday, November 13.
For the continued health and safety of our campus community, it is imperative that each and every one of us, whether on or off campus, adhere to the College’s health and safety protocols to help stop the spread of the virus, including immediately reporting a positive COVID-19 test or the onset of symptoms via the COVID-19 form.
Additional Mitigation Measures
In anticipation of potential additional mitigation measures from the state due to our region’s continuing rise in COVID-19 positivity rates, as of Friday, November 6, the College will implement the following revision to our current health and safety protocols until further notice:
- College-approved, in-person events hosted by recognized student organizations, College offices, and students, faculty or staff can proceed with no more than 10 people (a reduction from 25) in attendance and only as long as face coverings are worn and physical distancing is maintained. These will be the only types of events permissible anywhere on College property.
- The 10-person limit does not apply to in-person classroom settings, which have already been arranged for appropriate physical distancing and assessed for necessary health and safety measures.
The following activities, restrictions and expectations will remain unchanged:
- In-person classes will continue to meet as scheduled and in accordance with our existing health and safety protocols, including wearing face coverings and maintaining physical distance. The College has provided sanitizing wipes in all classrooms and labs; students, faculty and staff are encouraged to clean desks and work stations before and after use.
- In collaboration with Chartwells, our food services partner, all food and drink from any North Central dining venue must be taken to go.
- Student employment will continue as directed by supervisors.
- Outside guests are prohibited from visiting students in the residence halls.
- Parties are strictly prohibited as they remain high-risk activities that jeopardize the health and safety of our community.
If you are considered a physical or close contact of an individual who has a positive or probable case of COVID-19, you will be notified by a contact tracer and provided instructions regarding next steps. In addition, given the current rate of COVID-19 infections in the region and the state, all members of the campus community should consider themselves proximate contacts and regularly self-monitor for symptoms. More information about contact tracing, including definitions and expectations of the terms close, physical and proximate contact, is available here.
We remain grateful for the tireless efforts of the Dyson Wellness Center team, our operations and facilities staffs, our athletics staff and trainers, the offices of Campus Safety and Residence Life and those helping facilitate the College’s COVID-19 testing process. These groups and countless others continue to rise to meet the College’s needs during these challenging times. We are reminded that we all bear the responsibility to keep one another safe and healthy and to support our campus community.
Best regards and #TogetherNC,
Troy D. Hammond
Professor of Physics
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Professor of English